A snapshot of the turkey industry in Canada (2020)
|Number of Turkey Farmers||515|
|Total Turkey Production – All Categories (million kg)||157.8|
|Total Farmgate Value (million $) – 2020||366.6|
|Total Turkey Meat Exports (million kg)||24.9|
|Total Turkey Meat Imports (million kg)||3.1|
|Number of Commercial Turkey Hatcheries||7|
|Number of Federally Inspected Turkey Processing Plants||17|
|Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada Reviewed June 2021|
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics (2020)
- Canadians consumed 143.8 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2020.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2020 was 3.8 kg.
- An estimated 55.3 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2020 (excluding deli).
- Of that 55.3 Mkg, 43.6 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2020, Canadian households consumed a total of 7.0 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 9.8 Mkg in 2016, to 11.6 Mkg in 2020 (excluding deli).
- At Thanksgiving 2020, 2.5 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 36% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- At Christmas 2020, 2.9 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 41% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.